Re: integrating PDFLaTeX with emacs?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: integrating PDFLaTeX with emacs?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:57:44 +0100

Elvis Chen <chene@cs.queensu.ca> writes:

> sorry for what may be a trivial question, but please help if it is
> trivial nonetheless :)
>
> I'm trying to get PDFLaTeX to play nicely with emacs.  I'm using
> Linux Suse 9.1 with Emacs-21.3.  I would like to edit my
> ~/.gnu-emacs-custom such that I can rebind the keys:
>
> Ctrl-c Ctrl-f to "pdflatex" my .tex file, and
> Ctrl-c Ctrl-v to launch xpdf to view the resulting .pdf file

Ok, this very much looks like you use the builtin TeX mode of Emacs.
I would very much suggest that you try using AUCTeX
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex>.  This is reasonably easy,
since we provide a SuSE RPM at <URL:ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex>.
AUCTeX in its current versions will usually guess from package options
in the preamble whether to use LaTeX or PDFLaTeX, and you can easily
switch between the two manually, too.  C-c C-v will start the
respective viewer, but the usual "dispatcher" uses C-c C-c RET instead
of C-c C-f.  One can get used to it.

Apart from better indentation and formatting, you get a lot of
document-sensitive help for inputting stuff.  It is really worth a
try.

Even preview-latex <URL:http://preview-latex.sourceforge.net> works
with PDFLaTeX by now.