Re: cut/paste support in X Windows (running Gnome)

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: cut/paste support in X Windows (running Gnome)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:00:47 -0500

>>>>> "Sergei" == Sergei Gnezdov <use-reply-to@nofrom.not> writes:

Sergei> 1. Set mark (Ctrl-Space) 2. Go to the end of the region to
Sergei> copy 3. Press Ctrl-Ins.

I just gave that a test.  If you look at the output of C-h C-<INS>
you'll probably find that is is bound to kill-ring-save which uses
the value of the variable interprogram-cut-function for inserting
the region into the cut-n-paste system.

Im my case interprogram-cut-function is set to x-select-text and
x-select-enable-clipboard is nil so I have to use middle-click
rather than C-v to paste the text in other programs.  (BTW, I
had to look at the src of x-select-text to remind myself about
x-select-enable-clipboard.)

I bet that is your case as well.

Try setting x-select-enable-clipboard to t and see whether you
get the functionality you prefer.  You can customize it:

   (customize-variable 'x-select-enable-clipboard)

or just setq it in ~/.emacs:

   (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

P.S.     Apologies if I targeted this at a too low
         familiarity level at least it'll be there
         for the archive....

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <cloos@jhcloos.com>