Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: rgb
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: 18 Mar 2005 23:57:23 -0800

> > Better put:
> >
> > alias newbie-emacs=nano # or pico
> >
> > in your ~/.bashrc
>
> Sigh. When some people sees how I work with Emacs they want to learn
it.
> The idea is to relieve the initial pain of meeting Emacs the first
time,
> so that they don't give it up in disgust, before they get to know it

> better.

Here here!
Most of my colleagues say wow how do I get that program.
When I hand them a CD and say here you go they dash off immediately.
Next time I see them they're like ... it's too complicated, I don't
have time to learn all that...
It isn't really.  But the tutorial only teaches the `hard way' and
the defaults have the cool stuff turned off so you must learn all
about customizing and what's available and how to turn each feature
on before your really using it.  Even transient-mark-mode is off by
default.