Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:42:38 +0100

PT <mailshield.gg@mailnull.com> writes:

> Sigh. When some people sees how I work with Emacs they want to learn
> it.  The idea is to relieve the initial pain of meeting Emacs the
> first time, so that they don't give it up in disgust, before they get
> to know it better.

at some point everyone gives up (perhaps in disgust) on something,
instead of getting to know it better.  for example, you do not use M-f
and M-b, i do not use the menu- tool- or speed-bar, etc.  the tricky
question is how to guide newbies w/o poisoning them w/ prejudice.  a lot
of it depends on the attitude of the newbie w/ respect to newbiehood.

thi