Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: PT
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:56:52 +0100

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:42:38 +0100, Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@glug.org> wrote:

PT <mailshield.gg@mailnull.com> writes:

Sigh. When some people sees how I work with Emacs they want to learn
it.  The idea is to relieve the initial pain of meeting Emacs the
first time, so that they don't give it up in disgust, before they get
to know it better.

at some point everyone gives up (perhaps in disgust) on something,
instead of getting to know it better.

Exactly. My heretic idea is to rethink the whole Emacs interface (defaults, keybindings). Make the default Emacs very similary to modern CUA-based applications. Give less reason for the newbies to give up in disgust.