Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:05:29 GMT

PT <mailshield.gg@mailnull.com> writes:

> Exactly. I don't know what resources are at the emacs developers'
> disposal  (do they work on it on their free time? is some of them paid
> to work on  Emacs?), but if companies see more value in emacs then
> they might even  sponsor developing some new features for them.
>
> At companies when it comes to choosing a developer tool the
> recommendation  of the employees and their existing experience with
> those tools can be an  important factor at the decision.  So if Emacs
> is more newbie friendly  that can mean more potential users, more
> value as a tool for employers and  possibly more resources for future
> development.

Are you suggesting that Emacs become more palatable for companies? How
would that benefit Emacs? So you'd have a bunch of fools getting paid
to add ghastly features to Emacs that only a pointy haired boss would
like?

I think the only way something good could come from it is if companies
changed to recognize how awesome Emacs is.

Your intentions are good: get more people hacking emacs. But the
method would destroy everything that makes Emacs great in the first
place.

-Shawn