Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:15:28 +0100

PT <mailshield.gg@mailnull.com> writes:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:45:20 +0100, Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@glug.org> wrote:
>>
>> everyone finds their own reason.  though you can endeavor to be
>> entertaining, you cannot make people see what they do not wish to
>> see.  for example, in this thread, i have tried to choose a
>> partially aligned position in hopes of obliquely redirecting your
>> enthusiasm, but i have failed.  now i go do other things...
>
> Okay.
>
> My enthusiasm has vanished, BTW. This all thread was just a sudden,
> half-baked idea. Reading all the answers I have a more thorough
> understanding of the situation. The development resources available
> for Emacs are scarce and the idea has no obvious benefits,

It would be less exasperating conversing with you if you did not
constantly insinuate stuff and put words into one's mouth.  Nobody
said that improving Emacs' appeal to newbies has no obvious benefits.
It has merely been pointed out that this is not as easy an process as
you make it out to be.  We are working on it a major part of the time,
and I told you that I am one of the main proponents of such work, and
project leader for two major usability projects in the area of LaTeX.

Yet you still insist on misrepresenting on what has been said.  I find
this distasteful.

> so now I too go and do other things... :)

Probably a good idea.