Emacs 21.3.1 -nw over ssh, C-h not bringing up help

From: Todd H.
Subject: Emacs 21.3.1 -nw over ssh, C-h not bringing up help
Date: 19 Mar 2005 14:27:31 -0600

Howdy,

I've been an emacs user for over 10 years and have recently been
forced into an upgrade from 20.6.1 under redhat to 21.x under Debian.
I access the Linux box in question via SSH (SecureCRT on a Win2k box
if it matters).  I use a VT220 emulation in my ssh client and have
TERM set to VT220 in the Linux shell.

On the old Emacs 20.6/Redhat box I was on, I set SecureCRT to
"backspace sends delete" and life was good.  Backspace deleted stuff
left of the cursor, and Control-h invoked help.

The problem now is that Under "GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X
toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2004-10-16 on raven, modified by
Debian" pressing C-h now deletes left of the cursor, and the only way
to bring up help is M-x help.  I've fiddled with various SEcureCRT
settings to no avail.  I at least get backspace to work right if I let
it send backspace for backspace.

Anyone have the magic bullet for this?  I've searched for an answer,
but most of what i find is people withe reverse problem of backspace
bringing up help.  The other odd thing is if I try to bind help to a
function key, I need to hit shift and that function key to make it
happen.
        (global-set-key [f5] 'help)

Did something change in Emacs 21 on "help" key binding?

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/