Re: Emacs 21.3.1 -nw over ssh, C-h not bringing up help

From: Olive
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.3.1 -nw over ssh, C-h not bringing up help
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:08:23 +0100

Peter Dyballa wrote:

Am 19.03.2005 um 23:10 schrieb Olive:

XTerm*ttyModes: erase ^?
XTerm*backarrowKey: false

Of course these settings work -- but only here, on localhost. I think Todd has the problems when GNU Emacs runs in a shell in a remote site. So re-programming the local X server won't change his problems, he has to fix it in the remote shell.

XTerm*eightBitInput: false

I wouldn't do that! The European scripts are 8 bit.

This setting does not prevent xterm to handle 8 bit characters properly (I usually wrote French, ...). It tell emacs to send "meta characters" as control sequence (see man xterm). To handle 8 bit properly; you must also add the following in your .emacs (for language that use Latin1 encoding).

(set-terminal-coding-system 'latin-1)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'latin-1)
(xterm-mouse-mode 1)

Olive