Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: Brian Elmegaard
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: 20 Mar 2005 13:27:17 +0100

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> > Four fundamental issues would be: [1] Possibility for horizontal
> > scroll,
>
> C-x <  and C-x >

Is that scrolling? Looks like page left and right imho.

> Windows _are_ sizable, and what is displayed _is_ a window, not a

I know, but people who would get interested in using emacs probably
are used to other (MS word-like) applications beforehand. I am mostly
guessing here, but I think the main reasons for running emacs would
be programming or latex.

Many (most?) compilers come with an editor which people probably try
first. Latex people probably have started out on a word processor
in itself being an editor.

None of the applications I have seen of this kind have the same
notion of windows, frames and buffers as emacs has.

> The problems with "new" (basically nameless buffers) are:
>
> a) There is no associated mode.

Leads me to an idea: A mode selection menu.

> specify a file name to work with than the name of an Emacs mode.

Isn't that a matter of implementation of the UI?

> b) There is no associated file name.  When exiting and saving
> automatically (like the desktop package does), Emacs has no place to
> put the file.

Emacs (some modes at least) by default put files in different
directories. Just put unsaved buffer in a specific place.

> c) There is no associated autosave file.  If you crash after two hours
> of work, your work will get lost.

That would be like MS word so that's would just make it more normal ;-)

> d) Lots of modes offer running/compiling/testing your program using
> external tools that need accessible files.

That could be a problem for sure. But compile usually prompts for a
save.

> In short: I don't see how Emacs can benefit from that distinction.

Put it in and let experienced users have an option for disabling it?

--
Brian (remove the sport for mail)
http://www.et.dtu.dk/staff/be/be.html