Re: changing default shell

From: Justin
Subject: Re: changing default shell
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:58:35 GMT

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. Yes, customize-variable was the one I was looking for.

I have cygwin installed on my windows xp system. I have used customize-variable to change the shell to C:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe

I clicked "Save for Future Sessions" and it put this in my ~/.emacs:

(custom-set-variables
;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(shell-file-name "C:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe"))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 )

The problem is when I go: M-x shell it still uses the cripled ms command prompt.

Any suggestions?

-Justin

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
Justin <ng@maritime333source.ca> writes:

Hi,

I stopped using emacs for awhile and it seems I forgot a few
things. Before, I remembered typing M-x to enter the name of a
function which would allow me to modify certain environment variables
for emacs. I'd enter the name of the function, hit enter, then emacs
would ask for the variable name then a new buffer would open which
would show the current value and allow me to graphically modify
it. This buffer would also provide more information about the variable
itself.

customize-variable
My end goal is to change the default shell to bash.

I don't know an emacs variable for this. I just use the environment variable:

    (setf (getenv "SHELL") "/usr/bin/clisp")