Re: Is it possible to have a "line number column" in emacs?

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Is it possible to have a "line number column" in emacs?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:04:01 +0100

>> Hi, I wonder if it's possible to have a separate column to display
>> line numbers in emacs, just like many other editors.
>
> What is so insufficient with column-number-mode?

A bit off-topic maybe:

The poster must not necessarily find column-number-mode insufficient
just because he want a column displaying the line numbers. It all
depends on what you are doing. For example, sometimes I like to use
hl-line-mode to highlight the line I work on, even though you could
argue that you could as well look at what line the cursor is on.

Personally I seldom use what the poster wants, but who am I to say
that I never will need it? I might want to browse source code together
with a colleague and using such a line number column would make it easy
to say things like "Look at row 21, isn't that crazy stuff?", or "What
do you think about the logic for line 48?".

My two cents.

/Mathias