turning off underlining, bold, all faces

From: Karl Berry
Subject: turning off underlining, bold, all faces
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:08:18 -0500

I mostly use Emacs (21.3) in tty mode.  I've tried various terminal
types, makes no apparent difference; currently using "xterm-color" for
no real reason.  I would like to turn off all faces, i.e., underlining,
bold, and other such "enhancements".  (I already don't have color,
despite the terminal type, and I'm happy about that.)

I see there was a long thread here about this about a year ago, around
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2004-04/msg00460.html.
The solution there was to do
  (global-font-lock-mode -1)
or
  (global-font-lock-mode nil)

That had no apparent effect for me.  Maybe it only related to colors.
For instance, the man buffer from M-x man man still has an ersatz bold
and underline for me, after the above.  Also, *Help* buffers from, eg,
describe-function, have underlining.

I see Joe Corneli posted a list of specific faces:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2004-04/msg00443.html
Such a list is certainly better than nothing, but it seems painful and
unmaintainable in general.

Is there a generic way inside Emacs to just turn off everything?  (I saw
nothing in the manual or source about it, which surprises me, as it
seems so fundamental.)  If not, I wonder if devising a new terminal type
without the attributes would have the same effect.

Any advice welcome & appreciated.

Thanks,
karl