Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:37:44 +0100

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

> I don't think that it tells you to do
>
>  (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration '((tex-mode . 2) (latex-mode . 2) (t .
> t)))
>
> in order to have latex buffers look "normal", so I think that's one.

Well, it says

    ** TeX modes:
[...]
    *** verbatim environments are now highlighted in courier by font-lock
    and super/sub-scripts are made into super/sub-scripts.

so the feature _is_ announced, although not how to remove it.  And I
don't see it in the Emacs manual.  Would you be so kind as to file a
bug report?  I could imagine that some people find that annoying, but
am not the right judge because I don't use font lock in the first
place.

> The stuff about "undo" is in there, but seem to explain how to make
> the messages go away (and have undo information always discarded
> automatically, which is the best thing I can think of to do with
> it).
>
> These are perhaps the two most noticable changes to Emacs I've seen
> over recent months.

If you have a particular suggestion how to improve the documentation,
you should send it to emacs-devel at gnu.org.