(no subject)

From: Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:53:13 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> >  '(ps-font-family (quote Palatino))
> >  '(ps-lpr-command "lp")
> >  '(ps-multibyte-buffer (quote bdf-font-except-latin))
> >  '(ps-paper-type (quote a4))
> >  '(ps-printer-name-option "")
> >
> > I guess that's what you mean, right?
>
> I don't know, since I don't quite understand where this fragment
> belongs to.

Ok, here's the part of the documentation (M-x customize-variable
ps-multibyte-buffer)

......snip.....

Valid values are:

  nil                     This is the value to use the default settings which
                          is by default for printing buffer with only ASCII
                          and Latin characters.  The default setting can be
                          changed by setting the variable
                          `ps-mule-font-info-database-default' differently.
                          The initial value of this variable is
                          `ps-mule-font-info-database-latin' (see
                          documentation).

  `non-latin-printer'     This is the value to use when you have a Japanese
                          or Korean PostScript printer and want to print
                          buffer with ASCII, Latin-1, Japanese (JISX0208 and
                          JISX0201-Kana) and Korean characters.  At present,
                          it was not tested the Korean characters printing.
                          If you have a korean PostScript printer, please,
                          test it.

  `bdf-font'              This is the value to use when you want to print
                          buffer with BDF fonts.  BDF fonts include both latin
                          and non-latin fonts.  BDF (Bitmap Distribution
                          Format) is a format used for distributing X's font
                          source file.  BDF fonts are included in
                          `intlfonts-1.2' which is a collection of X11 fonts
                          for all characters supported by Emacs.  In order to
                          use this value, be sure to have installed
                          `intlfonts-1.2' and set the variable
                          `bdf-directory-list' appropriately (see lips-bdf.el
for
                          documentation of this variable).

  `bdf-font-except-latin' This is like `bdf-font' except that it is used
                          PostScript default fonts to print ASCII and Latin-1
                          characters.  This is convenient when you want or
                          need to use both latin and non-latin characters on
                          the same buffer.  See `ps-font-family',
                          `ps-header-font-family' and `ps-font-info-database'.

Any other value is treated as nil.

......snip.....

so, the default setting is `nil' ... and Umlauts ARE latin characters, so
I would wonder why `nil' wouldn't fit well.  Ok, anyway, setting to
`bdf-font-except-latin' didn't change that behaviour.  I checked with simply
printing the buffer - without postscripting - which works fine including
all the Umlauts.  Also a2ps works fine printing Umlauts.

> Could you simply set the option manually, before using
> ps-print-buffer, and see if that helps?

Did that too ... no effect ...

> You also need to restart Emacs after changing .emacs.

Oh ... I thought "byte-compile and load"  would do the same ... sorry.
Anyway, I left emacs and restarted without any changed behaviour.

> > no Umlauts with PS Print Buffer (B+W).
>
> What do you see in print instead of Umlauts?

fine lined carrets

> Also, does your Postscript printer support Umlauts and other accented
> characters?

As said above, all other printing-systems work without any problems.
Btw, I use a HP LaserJet4000N ... a network printer - and I checked
before if the fonts (palatino) are supported ... they certainly are.

> Finally, what Latin-N encoding do you use by default in your Emacs?
> That is, what is your locale?

ray@atmalok:~$ echo $LANG
de_DE@euro

ray@atmalok:~$ cat /etc/locale.gen
de_DE ISO-8859-1
de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
de_DE.UTF-8@euro UTF-8
de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15
en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

my .emacs holds the following settings:

'(current-language-environment "Latin-9")
'(default-input-method "latin-9-prefix")

... I need latin-9 prefix since I use a US keyboard

well ... bunches of informations here ... :-)

ray