Re: (no subject)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:15:19 +0200

> Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:53:13 +0100
> From: Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle <Raimund.Kohl@nabuli.de>
>
> Any other value is treated as nil.
>
> ......snip.....
>
> so, the default setting is `nil' ... and Umlauts ARE latin characters, so
> I would wonder why `nil' wouldn't fit well.

Because "Latin" doesn't mean "Latin-9".

> Ok, anyway, setting to
> `bdf-font-except-latin' didn't change that behaviour.

Something's clearly wrong, but I cannot figure out what.  You will
have to debug this yourself.  One thing I'd do is print to a file (use
ps-print-buffer with a numeric argument, and it will prompt for a file
name), then look at that file to see what stands for the accented
characters there.

> I checked with simply printing the buffer - without postscripting -
> which works fine including all the Umlauts.

That's not a good test: `print-buffer' uses an entirely different way
of printing, and also doesn't switch the printer into the Postscript
mode.

> Also a2ps works fine printing Umlauts.

So you could redirect a2ps's output to a file and compare what it
produces for Latin-9 characters with what ps-print-buffer produces for
the same characters.

> > > no Umlauts with PS Print Buffer (B+W).
> >
> > What do you see in print instead of Umlauts?
>
> fine lined carrets

Sorry, I don't understand this.  Can you explain what it means?

> > Also, does your Postscript printer support Umlauts and other accented
> > characters?
>
> As said above, all other printing-systems work without any problems.
> Btw, I use a HP LaserJet4000N ... a network printer - and I checked
> before if the fonts (palatino) are supported ... they certainly are.

If you print out the entire Palatino font in your printer, does it
include accented Latin-9 characters?

> my .emacs holds the following settings:
>
> '(current-language-environment "Latin-9")
> '(default-input-method "latin-9-prefix")

So you are using Latin-9.  I wonder if using Latin-1 instead will
help resolve your problem.