Re: sharing list structure

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: sharing list structure
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:58:37 -0500

> OK, I think I've got the idea now.  But still, I'm surprised that `setq'
> is not among the list of "destructive functions".  What's that about?

You're right: `setq' is also destructive.  But it's slightly different (the
difference has to do with the notion of "pointer aliasing").

In Scheme destructive operations are traditionally named with a "!" suffix,
so `setq' is actually called `set!'.

As for me, I'd rather get rid of `setq' and `set!' altogether.
That's basically what SSA does behind the scenes ;-)

        Stefan