Re: Emacs in xterm and Cyrillic?

From: vedm
Subject: Re: Emacs in xterm and Cyrillic?
Date: 09 Apr 2005 20:26:22 -0400

> > (set-terminal-coding-system 'iso-8859-5)
>
> If you properly set your locale this won't be necessary.
>

>         Stefan

You are right.

Running the command "locale -a" I see that the locale for Bulgarian is
bg_BG. I set the following variables:

LC_ALL=bg_BG
LANG=bg_BG
LANGUAGE=bg_BG

This didn't help. The other locale for Bulgarian is bg_BG.cp1251. However
my files are encoded in iso8859-5. I noticed that there is a Russian
locale ru_RU.iso88595: I tried it and it worked: I didn't need the
"set-terminal-coding-system" call with this locale.

So in the end, the problem can be fixed either with
set-terminal-coding-system or with setting the appropriate locale.

But I wonder why there is no Bulgarian  locale with iso-8859-5
encoding? After all, that is supposed to be the standard.

--
vedm