Re: simgle repeat?

From: kgold
Subject: Re: simgle repeat?
Date: 12 Apr 2005 18:28:45 GMT

Rui Tiago Matos <tiagomatos@gmail.com> writes:
> One vim feature which is really handy (and my vim user house mate is
> always teasing me about :-) is the single repeat command aka "dot" or
> "."[1]
>
> So is there anyway to have anything like it in emacs?

keyboard macros are a more powerful version of the dot command.

Start recording, do anything you want, and stop recording.  When you
play back the macro, it reruns the keystrokes,

They can of course include insert and delete and cursor movement, but
also cut and paste, transpose, case changes, searching, saving a file,
editing a file, go to next instance of a grep list, etc.

For me, keyboard macros are what makes emacs #1.

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646