how to work with utf-8

From: Paul Tremblay
Subject: how to work with utf-8
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:16:12 -0400

I'm a vim user who is trying out emacs. One of the things that really
impresses me with emacs is its multi-lingual (utf-8) support.

I have read throug the tutorial, and I have also tried playing with
the multi-linual mule, but can't quite figure out how to get started
with two basic tasks:

1. Is there an easier way to open a utf-8 file than with:

C-x C-m c utf-8 C-x C-f ?

For example, what if I want to create a new utf-8 file from scratch?

2. How do I enter utf-8 characters directly in emacs? In vim, there is
a serier of sequences to do this: control k, and then u to indicate a
hexidecimal that has a width of 4, and then something like 201c for a
right curly quote.

Thanks

Paul

--