RE: customize-option erases .emacs contents!

From: Rancier, Jeff
Subject: RE: customize-option erases .emacs contents!
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:18:35 -0400

Or better yet, maintain it in CVS.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phillip Lord [mailto:p.lord@cs.man.ac.uk]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 1:28 PM
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

  JS> I have just used customize-option to set transistent-mode
  JS> on. But that operation just erased all other content from my
  JS> .emacs file! Is this a know risk when using customize-option
  JS> instead of writing the instructions manually in the .emacs file?

I've had this happen very occasionally to me as well. For this reason, among
others, my .emacs now looks like this...

;;Load my main emacs file
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/emacs")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/emacs/packages")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/emacs/published")

;; The first thing to do is load the packages directory. It provides ;;
autoloads for all of the packages that I use regularly, rather than ;;
anything else.
(load "package-autoload.el")

;; The I want to load my main file which is where everything is ;; actually
loaded. (load "main.el" )

(setq minibuffer-max-depth nil)

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
'(LaTeX-style-list (quote (("book") ("article") ("letter") ("prosper")
("report"))))

********************SNIP*******************

;;Load the post-custom file which has code which needs to be loaded er...
;;after the custom set vars. On the whole it is used to reset custom vars
;;for specific circumstances
(load "post-custom.el")

(put 'upcase-region 'disabled nil)

All of what use to be my .emacs is in "main.el". I also have a small
post-custom.el for the odd thing that has to be done after custom.
I think this is a neater way of doing things anyway.

I never found out a routine way of getting this to happen (*), so I don't
know if it's a bug. I also use numbered file backups, so it's always
recoverable.

Cheers

Phil

(1) I tried xemacs once and it wiped my .emacs for me. This was my own
    stupid fault as it did ask me twice before doing it, and I still
    said yes.