Re: emacs and osx

From: Jochem Huhmann
Subject: Re: emacs and osx
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:08:20 +0200

Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> writes:

> Jochem Huhmann wrote:
>> Exactly. Get the latest Emacs from the CVS, configure, make, install,
>>  enjoy. It just works. This posting is written with a Emacs running on
>> Mac OS X, along with Carbon-GUI, anti-aliased fonts and everything,
>> compiled straight from the sources.
>
> Humm, that's a pain in the arse, especially with slower machines lower
> on RAM. :-(

May well be. I'm having no problems on a 1.25 GHz Mac mini with 512MB of
RAM, though. Could be faster, granted, but surely fast enough to work
with. And while Emacs may be a memory hog, *everything* on OS X is. The
average freeware menubar clock eats as much memory as Emacs.

> BTW, would it at least run in many versions of MacOS X (say, 10.1,
> 10.2 etc) if compiled with a current toolchain?

Sorry, I don't know. I would think that it should work, though. I do not
see anything in Emacs that requires the latest OS from Apple.

>> There is Fink, darwinports and then individual (binary) packages done
>>  by well-meaning people.
>
> Honestly, I don't know why fink didn't try to merge its efforts with
> Debian (or copy them, for that matter).

Who? Apple? There have been rumours that darwinports would become part
of the OS. Let's wait for Tiger. I wouldn't held my breath, though.
Debian is another story. Can you imagine the typical Debian developer
working with the typical Apple employee? I could rather imagine OS X
becoming a Debian sub-project than the other way round ;-)

> Indeed. There are many versions (Gerben Wierda's, Fink's etc) and (at
> least Fink's) is not what I'd call "mature".

I've had no problems with teTeX from the darwinports project. Installed
without a glitch, works fine. Well done.

        Jochem

--
 "A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
 longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."