Re: Abbreviated filenames for display

From: Michael Mauger
Subject: Re: Abbreviated filenames for display
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:44:58 +0000 (UTC)

Additional item below:

Michael Mauger <mmaug <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> This is not a critical need but it has been bugging me for a while.
>
> I have three locations of files that I use regularly.  One is local on my w32
> machine, the other two are on Unix machines.  I use Tramp and everything
works
> beatifully.  I have something like the following in my .emacs:
>
>    (putenv "D0" "~/My Documents/Projects/xyz")
>    (putenv "D1" "/sshx:myuser@unix1.abc.def.com:/home/myuser")
>    (putenv "D2" "/sshx:myuser@unix2.abc.def.com:/home/myuser")
>
> This allows me to specify remote files easily at the C-x C-f prompt, with a
> string like:
>
>     Find File: $D2/proj/xyz/src/x.sql
>
> The "$D2" gets expanded and my fingers don't fall off for excess wear.

One additional point -- I have tried to use `directory-abbrev-alist' but it
gets applied and the result expanded multiple times so that you end up with a
mess.

For example:

   (setq directory-abbrev-alist
     '(("~/My Documents/Projects/xyz" . "$D0")
       ("/sshx:myuser@unix1.abc.def.com:/home/myuser" . "$D1")
       ("/sshx:myuser@unix2.abc.def.com:/home/myuser" . "$D2")))

I end up with filenames like:

   $D2/proj/xyz/src/$D2/proj/xyz/src/$D2/proj/xyz/src/$D2/proj/xyz/src/x.sql

Thanks again.