Re: Abbreviated filenames for display

From: Michael Mauger
Subject: Re: Abbreviated filenames for display
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:57:08 -0700 (PDT)

--- Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:
> Michael Mauger <mmaug@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> In <http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Frequently-Asked-Questions>,
> several approaches are discussed shortening Tramp file names. I
> haven't checked, but maybe one of them is useful for the display as
> well.

Thanks.  These are useful, but as you suspected they address the entry
problem rather than display.  I currently use the environment variable
substitution which works nicely with ido.el (it does expansion so that
completion is available).

`cygwin-mount.el' interferes with the `directory-abbrev-alist' solution
because it grabs the abbreviation and expands it relative to the Cygwin
root directory before the abbreviation is expanded.  Maybe if this can be
corrected, I can use the `directory-abbrev-alist' solution because it
seems to do much of what I want.

> There is also a recipe for a host indication in the mode line.

This is useful and I've modified it for my use.