ESC 4 causes part of file to be missing from buffer

From: Joe Fineman
Subject: ESC 4 causes part of file to be missing from buffer
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:38:49 GMT

I am using Emacs 21.3.1 under Windows.

When I visit a file that contains the sequence ESC 4, I find that the
resulting buffer is missing all the text from there up till the next
ESC (or till the end, if there is no such ESC).  I have determined
that the text is not merely missing from the display, but from the
buffer itself.  On the other hand, the file itself seems not to be
corrupted: if I view it using cat in the Cygwin shell, it is still
all there.  The buffer is not marked as modified.

Is this a feature that I can turn off, or is it a bug?
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  Blessed are they who expect nothing, for surely they shall  :||
||:  not be disappointed.                                        :||