Re: emacs and UTF-8

From: knubee
Subject: Re: emacs and UTF-8
Date: 28 Apr 2005 14:33:15 -0700

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response. I have already the fonts and the localisations
for the operating system.

> In case debian uses UTF-8 too for file names: keep that entry!

Which one? (In fact, I think I appropriated many of those settings from
one of your earlier postings on this topic :-))

As I say, there are only a very few situations where this problem crops
up for me.

Your comment about emacs inheriting from the os settings gave me an
idea, so I ran my Scheme program outside of emacs (guile from the
command line). Same result for the file with Swedish characters. I can
see all the Swedish text just fine (within emacs and in a terminal).
But didn't actually create the file, so then I had the idea to go in
and overwrite a couple of the Swedish characters myself and then resave
the file. And now the results of the Scheme program display correctly!
It just seems odd to me that this file will otherwise display correct
without being modified by me, but then work for this specialized case
only after being changed and saved.

Similarly, I was not so precise before about the email situation. In
fact, when I hit reply, it is only the "reply to" address and subject
that is transformed into something like this:

To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=  ...
Subject: Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q? ...

The rest of the cited email displays just fine. I wonder why it should
choke only on the contents of those fields?

cheers, k.