Re: Running bash inside emacs

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Running bash inside emacs
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 20:29:23 +0200

Madhusudan Singh <spammers-go-here@spam.invalid> writes:
>  I was wondering if it is possible to run a bash shell inside an emacs
> buffer (where the up and down keys recall commands executed
> in .bash_history and do not move the cursor around -- the problem with the
> native shell available in emacs, tab results in command completion, etc.).

M-x shell RET

Since emacs implement its own history and completion, the keys are
usually bound to emacs functions, and not passed to the inferior
shell.

If you want to run an old command from ~/.bash_history, you could type:

sort -u < ~/.bash_history

then move to the line with the command and type RET.

Cats meow out of angst
"Thumbs! If only we had thumbs!
We could break so much!"