keyboard-translate does suddenly not work anymore

From: Nicolas Neuss
Subject: keyboard-translate does suddenly not work anymore
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 23:39:25 +0200

Hello,

until today the following translation from the German "Umlaut" รถ to the
bracket [ has worked fine in my .emacs:

(keyboard-translate ?\366 ?\[)

However, something has broken this (Maybe some software update, because I
installed Motif today?  Before this I have also reconfigured the X
server.).  Now this command does not produce a visible change anymore.
(Same of course for other "Umlaute" which I also used to translate.)  Does
anyone know the reason and a cure?

Thank you, Nicolas.

P.S.: I'm using Emacs 21.4.1 on Debian on a IBM T40 laptop.