greek characters

From: Jörg Hagmann
Subject: greek characters
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:47:15 +0200

Dear list members,

I have been using emacs for a few months but am still trying to find out how to type greek letters (e.g.: a-ketoglutarate, the a should be an alpha).

I looked at the online manuals, but I don't understand what is written there. I checked the archives, but simple things like this are probably not discussed there. I bought "Learning GNU Emacs" from O'Reilly, but they only explain obvious things that one could find out without the book. I tried changing "Options" but I have no idea where to begin and nothing I tried worked.

Could somebody explain in SIMPLE words what to do? There is a deadline for handing in a TeX/ConTeXt document ...

I'm running GNU emacs version 21 on Mac OS X, international keyboard, english language; and on GNU/Linux with a British keyboard.

I managed to get the accents (aigu, grave, umlauts etc.) by C-x C-m C-\ latin-1-prefix. The characters are displayed as empty boxes, but I can live with that for the moment. (C-h h displays mostly empty boxes).

Thank you for your help, Jörg