Re: keyboard-translate does suddenly not work anymore

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: keyboard-translate does suddenly not work anymore
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:14:36 -0400

> until today the following translation from the German "Umlaut" ö to the
> bracket [ has worked fine in my .emacs:

> (keyboard-translate ?\366 ?\[)

> However, something has broken this (Maybe some software update, because I
> installed Motif today?  Before this I have also reconfigured the X

I see you've found a better solution, but just for your information: ?\366
is not "ö".  Recent Emacsen have improved the keyboard handling such that
the byte sequence coming in from the tty is more properly decoded into
a sequence of chars.  So maybe your problem was that you should have
now used:

  (keyboard-translate ?\ö ?\[)

of course, assuming the file in which the above expression is written uses
an appropriate encoding corresponding to the encoding used on your keyboard.

Admittedly, I can't remember in which order things like keyboard-translate
and keyboard decoding take place, so maybe I'm just wrong.

        Stefan