Re: Emacs or XEmacs?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Emacs or XEmacs?
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 18:23:25 +0000

JS <dsa.@asdf.com> wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 23:14:11 +0200:
> What are the difference between Emacs and XEmacs? Will they both run on
> WinXP and is one better for something that the other?

Hey, you're not a troll, are you?

No, thought not.  So here's an answer:

>From the point of view of a user, there are lots of minor niggly little
differences between them.  There are, I think, some facilities available
on one, but not the other.  But all these differences are _MUCH_ less
than those between either and the rest of the world of editors.  Try them
both: you'll probably end up preferring the first one you tried.

If you're a developer of an Emacs package, the differences are more and
more significant.  If you develop for both, you'll find yourself working
round lots of PITAs.

The philosophy and working style of the two Emacs projects could hardly
be more different, given only that they're both free projects, and this
has caused some friction between them.

Either is better than any other editor.  :-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter