antialiased fonts

From: Rob Wilco
Subject: antialiased fonts
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 12:41:34 +0200

Hello,

My Debian and Ubuntu boxes do not display the default antialiased Bitstream
font within emacs. I am not sure but I think my mzndrake box used to do that.

I have put those lines in my .emacs

(defvar veramono "-bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*")
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist (cons 'font veramono))

The font does change but it is not antialiased as is my mail client and my
gnome-terminal.

I have googled the matter and it appears that emacs cannot display antialiased
font.

Questions :

Is it true?

I don't get it, why gnome-terminal can do it and emacs can't?

Who antialiases font?

What does it takes to make a gtk-aware emacs à la gvim?

What process are involved xfs, defoma, Xorg/XFree86?

Any explanation, link, google keyword will be appreciated.

Good day.

PS : what are the goals of this ng compared to the one called comp.emacs ?