Re: Emacs21 settings in Debian ?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Emacs21 settings in Debian ?
Date: 26 May 2005 18:03:01 +1000

Vignoble101 <vince101@free.fr> writes:

> Good morning all.
>
> I started my Linux adventure a couple of years ago with a Mandrake
> distro. It was providing a version of Emacs - I wouldn't be able to
> tell you which one - which was just doing quite well !
>
> I spent a whole summer experiencing Java coding using that very nice
> and efficient tool this newsgroup is dedicated to. Probably some would
> argue that there is nothing such as a real Java IDE, but I never could
> get along well with the idea that I need to purchase a brand new
> computer with gigs of memory and megahertz for the sake of typing nice
> anti-aliased characters that will never fit to my screen among all
> those toolbars, icons and funky starving-for-pixels GUIs.
> As Vi sounded a bit raw to me, I went for Emacs.
> The tutorial was perfect, but too short. So I bought myself an
> O'Reilly book on that subject. Everything was crystal clear and Emacs
> was responding perfectly to any command.
>
> So, as my Linux adventure was going on, I was lead to try different
> distros (mainly Redhat & Fedora), got hacked in and messed up, and had
> to leave my coding activity apart for getting a little bit more
> involved into that networking and admin stuff.
>
> Anyways... now my choice is made and I stick to Debian :)
> Now here comes the pain. In its Debian pre-compiled version, Emacs21
> does not display colors. The keystrokes sound different that what I
> was used to. For instance, copying a block with C-space and M-w does
> not work. So I have to use C-space / C-w , yank back, and yank again
> at the place I want to paste. A bit annoying...
> I will not make a long list of all my observations, but I must say
> that I'm pretty confused.
>
> So far I have not been very involved in my research to solve this.
> I've googled around to see if there was a way to get the color
> back. All I could find was how to change the existing color settings...
> So I've tryed to re-install my Emacs21 from the source and could not
> even get it to start !
>
> So basically, I'm into big trouble. I don't no if the keystrokes pain
> in the ass comes along with the new flavour...?
> I must admit I don't really want to get involved into elisp hacking,
> but maybe I should give a try on how to configure Emacs properly
> before compiling the sources.
>
> Anyway guys, any help or suggestion is more than welcome, as I would
> like to get back to the scene and make the most of my proud console !
>
> GNU rules !!

There is nothing 'special' or different with Debian's version of
Emacs. One thing which may be tripping you up is that your last emacs
was probably version 20 and now version 21 has some slight
differences. However, from memory, there have been no key binding
changes. Debian does not change this either.

The colours not being there means your probably not running with
font-lock mode enabled. Try typeing M-x font-lock-mode and see if that
makes a difference.

If your still using your old .emacs file, I would suggest starting
from scratch. Debian is the most emacs friendly and supportinve Linux
distro I've ever used and a lot of the configuration and installation
of packages I use to do on other distros is simply an apt-get install
away.

Start with an empty .emacs file and run M-x customize and go through
the various groups, switching on/off whatever you do/don't need. Then
see where yu are and determine if you need to do anyting else to get
the environment you like.

HTH

Tim

--