Re: Hiding lines based on a regexp

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: Hiding lines based on a regexp
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 00:52:12 GMT

"Mathias Dahl" <brakjoller.rem0veth1s@gmail.com> wrote in message
uk6lhxk6u.fsf@gmail.com">news:uk6lhxk6u.fsf@gmail.com...
> "David Vanderschel" <DJV4@Austin.RR.com> writes:

> > Could someone please point me to a mechanism that would allow me to
> > temporarily hide from display certain lines in a file based on a
> > matching regular expression?  There is somewhat similar
> > functionality with hide-ifdef-mode.  However, I want something less
> > clever and more general.

> Have you looked on EmacsWiki?

> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/HideLines

Ahhh!  That would have satisfied me.  Too bad I was
not sufficiently patient to wait for Mathias's
response to my query.  (I had really thought that this
was an easy one, and that I would quickly be pointed
in the right direction.  When that did not happen, I
assumed that no one had already implemented the
capability.)  Overlays are probably a better way to
implement it.  However, for my own purposes, the extra
feedback from my own implementation (which I posted
elsewhere in this thread) about how many lines are
affected by commands makes it more useful to me.

Up to now, I had not been regarding EmacsWiki as a
resource for this sort of quest.  I will consult it in
future.  Thanks for the pointer.

Regards,
  David V.