Re: Emacs Menu Bar Question

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: Emacs Menu Bar Question
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:31:29 -0800

* Paulie <pstuyv-no-to-spam@yahoo.co.uk> [050602 08:55]:
> Hi all,
>
> I am just learning Linux and am trying to get to grips with emacs - so far
> so good.  I use Ctl/Alt/F1 to go into terminal mode and use xemacs - no
> problem, plain screen, keyboard commands only.  When I try emacs I get the
> menu bar (File Edit Options etc) at the top of the screen but don't have a
> mouse attached.  Is there a way to access the menu in a similar way as I
> might in Windows (Alt key).

 Hi Paulie:
 I'm brand new to GNU emacs myself (first week of usage), but I use
 tmm-menubar. I think it is bound by default to alt-` (backtick), but
 use my own binding.
 It is a Text-mode emulation of looking and choosing from a menubar,
 and is not "windows-like" but if you try it, you may like it.
 I do. I prefer it to the Xemacs 'accelerate-menu.

 HTH
 tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>