Re: "Easy" Windows Emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: "Easy" Windows Emacs
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 02:47:49 +0200

"Shug Boabby" <Shug.Boabby@gmail.com> writes:

>> Ok, but emacs add-on don't need a different distribution: just put
>> the *.el in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-li sp/ or even in ~/emacs/
>> You don't need an administrator to do it, a mere _emacs_ user can
>> do that.
>
> the spell checker needs aspell/ispell/spell to be installed. last
> time i checked, Mr Gates wasn't distributing that with XP.
>
> also, AucTeX isn't as simple as putting some .el files into a
> folder...  its a configure/make install procedure. that needs a
> POSIX shell.

Installing MSYS takes about 5 minutes.

Anyway, to get full benefit of Emacs and AUCTeX, you'd want to use a
developer version of Emacs like <URL:http://crasseux.com/emacs>.

There is a complete XEmacs/TeX/AUCTeX/preview-latex bundle called
XEmTeX available as well (Google for it).  Personally, I don't
particularly like XEmacs, and the Windows version in XEmTeX is likely
to be non-MULE (at least if it is 21.4), meaning that it won't get
along with utf-8.