character display

From: Jörg Hagmann
Subject: character display
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:24:21 +0200

Dear list members,

I am using Emacs with Mac OS X 10.3 (The window kind, probably version 21.3) and a US keyboard. Sometimes I need French or German characters (aigu, grave, umlaut etc.). I managed to type these by C-x C-m C-\ latin-1-prefix. But how can they be displayed? All I see is empty boxes. Innumerable combinations of what I found under "Options" didn't help. Are the fonts missing in my installation? Help would be appreciated. Joerg.

PD Dr.med. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari
Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics
DKBW, University of Basel
Mattenstrasse 28