Re: character display

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: character display
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 12:14:52 +0200

Am 06.06.2005 um 09:24 schrieb Jörg Hagmann:

I am using Emacs with Mac OS X 10.3 (The window kind, probably version 21.3) and a US keyboard.

What does that mean? Is it the X11 client GNU Emacs or is it a so-called Carbon Emacs that looks like another Apple tool?

Sometimes I need French or German characters (aigu, grave, umlaut etc.). I managed to type these by C-x C-m C-\ latin-1-prefix. But how can they be displayed? All I see is empty boxes. Innumerable combinations of what I found under "Options" didn't help.
Are the fonts missing in my installation?

Yes and no.

If you're using the X11 version you are in the lucky position of being at least able to display all sorts of glyphs -- provided you have the fonts! The Carbon Emacsen are quite bad as they are restricted to the use of 'natic' Mac-what-so-ever encodings, for example Mac-Roman. All you need to do is to set up a fontset for that.

There is a list for GNU Emacs users on Mac OS X:

List Post: <mailto:macosx-emacs@email.esm.psu.edu>