Re: Mapping alt to altgr

From: Daniel Aarno
Subject: Re: Mapping alt to altgr
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:10:41 +0200

Thanks, now I use the following .xmodmaprc and it works in emacs too.

clear mod2
clear mod1
keycode 237 = Mode_switch
keycode 233 = Mode_switch
add mod2 = Mode_switch
add mod1 = Multi_key

/Daniel Aarno

Peter Dyballa wrote:

Am 06.06.2005 um 17:44 schrieb Daniel Aarno:

mod1
mod2        Mode_switch (0xed),  Alt_L (0xe9)
mod3        Num_Lock (0x5a)
mod4        Meta_L (0xea),  Meta_R (0xee)

This is a very bad layout: Mode_switch and Alt modifier are probably related to each other as football and soccer. The one changes the operating mode of the keyboard, the latter just selects another keysym from the few which are assigned to a key (keycode 34 = 7 slash bar backslash).

I am sure Solaris 9 has xev, in former versions it was a bit hidden.

I think you should just swap the two keys Mode_switch and Alt_L (which should be renamed to Alt_R accordingly). You'll need the Mode_switch to access the layers with diacritics. The syntax would be like:

    keycode <number one> = Mode_switch
    keycode <number two> = Alt_R

You can retrieve the keycodes without xev if xmodmap supports -pke.

Please use clear to clean modifier settings. Clear and remove are distinct. Clear only removes a setting from a modifier, so that it's now empty, undefined, free for a new setting. Remove deletes a keysym from the map, it's lost and cannot be re-used as a modifier. Consult 'man xmodmap' and spend some time with it!

--
Greetings

  Pete

War springs from unseen and generally insignificant causes.
-Anonymous