Re: C-x C-f in two frames -> "user minibuffer while in minibuffer": Bug?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: C-x C-f in two frames -> "user minibuffer while in minibuffer": Bug?
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 16:08:54 +0200

Am 08.06.2005 um 15:18 schrieb David Reitter:

If I open a second frame, then do C-x C-f in one of them and press tab so that the window is split and I get a *Completions* buffer in one frame, and when I then select the second frame and do a C-x C-f there, I don't get another *Completions* buffer there, but an error message that appears in the first frame:

"Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer"

No, that's definitely no bug! There is in the first frame minibuffer waiting for your input. And since there is only one such thing, yet, you can't use it for something different somewhere else.

I think too it would be a nice enhancement if every frame would have its own minibuffer. I remember that from time to time I had to use more than one Emacs running to get things together for an input to minibuffer (could have sorted this out in scratch buffer -- but then I would have needed to remember how I made minibuffer awaiting my input ...)

--
Greetings
                                 <]