Re: Solved: Re: tabs with cperl-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Solved: Re: tabs with cperl-mode
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 10:47:06 -0400

>> align everything on multiples of 8.  I.e. start by setting
>> cperl-indent-level to 8.

> I changed that. It works :) And i was confused again, because i had

> (setq tab-width 4)

> in my .emacs . So I googled a bit and I found the solution.
> so this works fine for me:

> (setq cperl-continued-statement-offset 4)
> (setq cperl-indent-level 4)
> (setq cperl-tab-always-indent t)
> (setq default-tab-width 4)

Changing tab-width is asking for trouble.  Its normal meaning, agreed upon
by all programs is that the width of a TAB is 8, no more no less.  If you
change it, it'll mess something up at some point.

Changing default-tab-width is even worse.

At least do

   (add-hook 'cperl-mode-hook (lambda () (setq tab-width 4)))

so it's only fucked up in your cperl mode and not in the rest.

        Stefan