Preventing modes overriding global keys

From: Ian Crowther
Subject: Preventing modes overriding global keys
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:39:25 +0100

I'm trying to make emacs bind end-of-line to the tab key in all modes. Doing:

        (global-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'end-of-line)

doesn't have any effect. "C-h k <TAB>" shows:
        TAB runs the command lisp-indent-line

I assume my parameters to global-set-key are correct, as local-set-key works. It looks like the lisp mode is defining the tab key. If I evaluate "(lisp-mode)" then
my binding made with local-set-key is disabled.

Is there a way to override the mode settings for the tab key? Or a way to prevent
modes overriding certain keys in the first place?

Thanks for any help. I'm really stuck on this one.

Ian