Re: Modeline position

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Modeline position
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:10:27 +0900

Patrick <bigredindian@gmail.com> writes:
> Is there any way to change the mode-line position so that it is, say,
> at the top of a buffer rather then at the bottom?
>
> I can't find any info about it so I assume the answer is no.

It may be possible to do something that halfway works in recent versions
of GNU Emacs (21 and later; I tried with a CVS version), by using the
header-line instead of the mode-line.

E.g., in your scratch buffer, try something like:

   ;; copy mode-line contents to header-line
   (setq header-line-format mode-line-format)

   ;; get rid of mode-line (nil format)
   (setq mode-line-format nil)

[You can also edit the `header-line' face to make the appearance be more
to your liking.]

Of course some modes (e.g. info mode) try to mess with the mode/header
lines themselves, which will screw things up in those buffers, so you'll
have to add special hacks (maybe to the mode hooks for htose modes) to
deal with those cases.

If you want to do this in only a single buffer, use
`make-local-variable' on those two variables first to make them
buffer-local.

-Miles
--
Run away!  Run away!