Re: Sql-Mode - getting query results from MS SQL Server 2000

From: Michael Mauger
Subject: Re: Sql-Mode - getting query results from MS SQL Server 2000
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:47:25 +0000 (UTC)

Brett Kelly <inkedmn <at> inkedmn.com> writes:

> Sometime around Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:15:57PM -0600, Kevin Rodgers said:
> > Brett Kelly wrote:
> > > I'd like to be able to type in a sql query and have it return a
> > resultset in a
> > > different buffer (a la Query Analyzer).  Here's what I'm doing now:
> > > - Create a new buffer, do M-x sql-ms RET, then enter the relevant
> > connection
> > >   information (user, password, server, dbname). This gives me no errors.
> > > - Type in my SQL statement (I've tried simple "select" statements, as
> > well as
> > >   more complicated "create proc" type stuff)
> > > - Highlight the relevant code with the mouse, and choose Send Region
> > from the
> > >   SQL menu.
> > >
> > > Now, if I'm understanding this correctly, I should see the results in
> > a new
> > > buffer, but I'm not.
> >
> > From the commentary at the top of sql.el excerpted below, I guess that
> > you are typing your SQL statement directly into the sql-interactive-mode
> > *SQL* buffer.  If you enter them in some other sql-mode buffer, Send
> > Region should cause the *SQL* buffer with the results to be displayed
> > (see sql-pop-to-buffer-after-send-region).
> >
> > ;; This file provides a sql-mode and a sql-interactive-mode.  The
> > ;; interactive mode had to provide a command-line history; the other
> > ;; mode had to provide "send region/buffer to SQL interpreter"
> > ;; functions.
> >
> > ;; sql-interactive-mode is used to interact with a SQL interpreter
> > ;; process in a SQLi buffer (usually called `*SQL*').  The SQLi buffer
> > ;; is created by calling a SQL interpreter-specific entry function.  Do
> > ;; *not* call sql-interactive-mode by itself.
> >
> > ;; sql-mode can be used to keep editing SQL statements.  The SQL
> > ;; statements can be sent to the SQL process in the SQLi buffer.
> >
> > --
> > Kevin Rodgers
>
> Well, I guess that was my core "goal" - to get emacs to behave as much as
> possible like Query Analyzer...
>
> I spend probably half of every day writing sql code, just thought it'd be nice
> to be able to write/run sql stuff in something other than query analyzer.
>
> Thanks for the help!

A couple of issues with MS under Emacs -- you must follow the command with
the "go" to get them to execute, and you may not get a prompt.

Are you able to type sql commands directly in the *SQL* buffer and have them
return results?
Are you including the trailing "go" in the region sent?

If you are getting the "Sent string to buffer *SQL*" message, then Emacs thinks
the interpreter is live and has sent the string.  The next step in the code is
to either pop or display the buffer.  Do you have any settings in your .emacs
that might impact where a buffer is displayed (pop-up-frames, display-buffer-
reuse-frames, special-display-buffer-names, special-display-regexps, same-
window-buffer-names, or same-window-regexps)?

I can speak to the fact that Emacs can be used very effectively as a
replacement for Query Analyzer.  I used Emacs as a front-end for MS and Oracle
in parallel for over a year.  I'd usually have interactive sessions on both
databases active at the same time.

More questions:
what version of Emacs and sql-mode are you using?
What's the value of sql-ms-program?