Dired shell command on file asymchronously

From: Luis O. Silva
Subject: Dired shell command on file asymchronously
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:13:22 -0600

Dear Emacs community,

Goal:
Being in Dired mode I want to apply a shell command to a file
asynchronously.

Details:
I'm using the extension dired-x.el, Emacs 21.2.1. When in
Dired mode I use dired-do-shell-command for launching xdvi on
a .dvi file. I want to use Emacs further while browsing the
xdvi window, but that is impossible since Emacs waits until
the xdvi process is terminated.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.
luis

--
Luis Octavio Silva Pereyra.
IIMAS-UNAM