Re: mouse pointer size

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: mouse pointer size
Date: 25 Jun 2005 14:31:17 +1000

Peyton Bland <bland@uNIVOFmich.edu.REMOVE.UPPER.CASE> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I/m running emacs 21.3.1 under RH linux.  I'd like to reduce the size
> of the mouse pointer image.  Just to be sure that I'm using the right
> term, by this I mean the image (or glyph?) that is displayed on the
> screen when the mouse is moved over different parts of the emacs frame:
> an arrow pointing to the 11:00 position when over a scroll bar, a
> vertical bar with curly things at the top and bottom when over the text
> window that I'm editing, a hand with extended index finger when over
> the speedbar, etc., etc.  As it is, these shapes are twice the
> character height -- way too big -- so I'd like to reduce them to half
> their height.  I've looked at the docs on
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp-manual but couldn't see how to
> make the changes I want.  There was a mention of lisp/term/x-win.el
> (our distro has the compiled version x-win.elc), but -- again -- I
> don't know what to do with it.  I'd appreciate any advice on this.
>
> Thanks,
> Peyton Bland
> Univ. of Michigan

I think you may be looking in the wrong place. The mouse cursor size etc is
handled by X windows, not emacs. If you look at the Linux HOWTOS,
there is a mini HOWTO called something like big-cursor, which explains
how to make the cursor larger - perhaps this will give you enough info
on how to go in the other idrection.

Also, if your running under Gnome, you will find there is an option in
the Gnome control panel to change the size of the cursor. Check this
first if you are running gnome as you will be able to reduce the mouse
cursor with just a few clicks!

Tim
--
Tim Cross