Re: Dired shell command on file asymchronously

From: Josef . Bauer . NOSPAM
Subject: Re: Dired shell command on file asymchronously
Date: 27 Jun 2005 14:54:24 +0200

    Josef> (call-process command nil 0 nil (shell-quote-argument
    Josef> (dired-get-filename))))

    Kevin> That doesn't make sense to me.  call-process passes its
    Kevin> &rest ARGS directly to PROGRAM, without any word-splitting
    Kevin> etc. by the shell.  So shell-quote-argument is unecessary,
    Kevin> and in fact could introduce quoting characters that would
    Kevin> be interpreted as part of the file name.

I think you are right: It works better without the
shell-quote-argument. Please excuse that mistake --- I told you I'm
far from a lisp guru!

Always trying to avoid such things like spaces in filenames I don't
need this very often. I think I had a case where it worked with the
shell-quote-argument but I can't remember what it was.

Best regards

Josef