find-file + bookmarks = true? (was: find-file, default path)

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: find-file + bookmarks = true? (was: find-file, default path)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:58:07 +0200

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> If typing that directory name even once is too much, try setting an
> environment variable to it so you can reference it: C-x C-f
> $CERTAIN_DIR <tab>

Slightly off-topic, but for a while I have been wondering if there is
a way to combine `find-file' with bookmarks.

Just for the record I know about C-x r b and all, but many times per
day (yes, I seem to never learn) I find myself using `find-file' to
open some file, and in the instant the prompt appears I remember that
I have a bookmark to the directory where the file I want is.

I have been thinking about writing my own hack to do some kind of
integration between the two functions but have been too lazy... :)

Anyone else doing the same thinking? It would have been really cool to
have something like this. Maybe some "magical" character that
`find-file' reacts to and switch to using bookmarks, or something like
that.