Re: Hi all

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Hi all
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:42:33 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

Sergio Dominguez <sergio@skynet.ie> writes:

I have a first question to the list :) I would like emacs to start
directly in line number 8, but I really don't manage to do it, and
I"ve googled intensenly for it. Can someone give me a hint?

The Emacs developers have written a manual.  And they even have
written a man page.

(info "(emacs) Emacs Invocation")
There might be different opinions on that. I do not think it covers what most users would want in a good way. You can indeed use the information that is there to start Emacs and go to a specific line in a specific file. The problem is that the way Emacs is started then might not be the way you want it to start.

What is the problem you might wonder then? It is that doing it that way you invoke a new copy of Emacs. If you have already started Emacs before and even if you are already editing that specific file the newly invoked Emacs does not have a direct connection to the already running Emacs. This mean that the to copies of Emacs does not know exactly what the other copy is doing to that file.

You can avoid this trouble but. The solution is to run Emacs as an editing server. Emacsclient/server is for that. Take a look at these and the command line parameters for the clients. There you can find a solution to your problem. (Currently Emacsclient/server is not available on MS Windows where you instead use Gnuserv/client for the same purpose. For installing this on MS Windows I suggest you take a look at EmacsW32 on http://www.emacswiki.org/.)

The solution will however be a little bit more complex. You will have to use the argument for evaluation of code. A simple solution will be to use the two functions find-file and goto-line.