Re: Link between two buffers

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Link between two buffers
Date: 28 Jul 2005 08:50:46 +1000

drkm <usenet@fgeorges.org> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon writes:
>
> > drkm <usenet@fgeorges.org> writes:

> >>   Why "depending on how the windows are split"?  'follow-mode'
> >> could follow both horizontaly and verticaly, isn't it?
>
> > No it cannot follow horizontally.
> > Try it:
>
>   Yes, I know.  But if someone hack it to provide horizontal
> following, what do you want to do "depending on how the windows
> are split"?  Why don't just have 'follow-mode' following both
> horizontally and vertically (in the case of horizontal following
> available)?

It may be a little more difficult to get follow-mode to do that - but
must admit I need to think it out more - just seems to be something
bugging me and that feeling we have overlooked something - a window
has to be at least 1 line in height and at least 1 column in width. It
strikes me that its probably not too difficult to ensure the line the
cursor is on is visible in both windows, especially if you don't
really care about cursor position within the line - would doing the
same when you have a window which is just one column (and possible 1
row) in size be a problem?

 However, as the only reason the OP wants this behavior is so
that he can see the header line of the file at the same time as
viewing row data which is more than one window in distance from the
header line in his file, I'm thinking he is probably better off
forgetting about follow-mode and seeing how hard it would be to create
a mode which puts the first line into a header line (such as those
used in *info* mode) and allows the rest of the buffer window to be
used to scroll through the data file?

Tim

--
Tim Cross